Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Scoutmaster Minute - Physically Fit and Being Prepared.


I wrote this Scoutmaster Minute yesterday.  I was going to use it until I received word that one of the Scouts of my Troop was in a car accident with his dad that same morning.  He and his dad were going toward town when their car slid off the road after coming in contact with a patch of black ice.  The car slid into a pond.  As was told by the local television station, the young man cited his experience in Scouting that helped him stay calm during something that was potentially bad.  He explained on camera that he had been through scenarios where he trained for accidents.  That night at the Scout meeting, we did some work on the Emergency Preparation Merit Badge, and ran through a scenario where an assistant scoutmaster touched a broken wire that caused electrocution.  While he was being tended to (in the scenario) a fire was discovered in the wall above where the wire had shorted (still scenario).  It was a good experience for our troop to practice.


The Scoutmaster Minute I presented was the news release for the Scout who had escaped from the nearly frozen pond with his dad.  The following is a Scoutmaster Minute I will use in the future.

I remember going to Scout Camp for the first time as an 11 year old in 1980-whatever.  It had to have just finished my 5th grade year in school.  I showed up at Camp McKee with the rest of my troop, and I’m sure you’ve heard me talking about it before, we stayed at Skunk Knob – Campsite 9.  I don’t remember too much about camp that summer other than the fact that the first few days of camp I was miserably out of shape, and it made it very uncomfortable to get around.  I remember that by the end of the week, my 11 year old legs were in shape enough to get around the camp without being miserably worn out.

I’m not sure at 11 years old I thought very much about the meaning of Physically Strong, but I think a lot about it today.  From those of you who are going skiing this weekend, how many have been training?  You don’t have to show your hands.

I have been training for the ski trip.  I try to walk in the mornings or evenings.  When I can walk, I get in 3 to 5 miles, and I can do that 4 or 5 times a week.  I walked to the top of a Civil War battle site on Saturday, and walked again on Sunday with Tyler in the snow.  I feel like I could ski on Sunday without having problems on Monday.

But there is another reason why being physically fit can help.  I slipped on the ice yesterday morning.  I really hurt myself, although I didn't break any bones.  If I hadn’t been in “training” for the ski trip, I probably would still be in some serious pain right now.  Other than a few bruises, I’m fine.  No soreness.  That is a great reason to be physically fit.  It helps with recovery from an accident as much as it does to get ready for a ski trip or in preparation for camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment