Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Kawida Lodge Fall Fellowship - October 2 - 4, 2015

Location - Camp McKee, Levee Kentucky
Mileage - I quit counting the mileage to McKee and back.  It is roughly 150 miles round trip.
Weather - Rain Friday evening. 51 Friday night.  51 and Scattered Rain Saturday.  46 and rain on Saturday night.  Sunny and warmer on Sunday morning.
Clothing - quick dry shorts/convertible pants.  I wore my raincoat on top of my tshirt.
Shoes - Hiking Boots
Tent Camping - I set up my Slumberjack Trail Tent 4. This is my main tent from now on.
Sleeping bag - I brought my Teton 0 bag.  I used it as a sleeping bag on Friday night, and was a little too warm, and used it as a blanket on Saturday night, and slept very well.
Camping pad - I used my camping pad.
Main Activities - I picked up Ben to go with us to the Fall Fellowship.  Brett was supposed to go, but his dad called me Friday afternoon to tell me it would be easier for him if he just took Brett on Friday evening.  I took both of them home on Sunday.  Saturday morning the adults hiked Pioneer Mountain Trail (PMT).  This was the first time I had been on the PMT for at least a few years.  The hike during Fall Fellowship was the inaugural hike since the PMT became an official program of the Camp McKee Alumni Association.  The hike was led by a person who has hiked the trail, he said, 125 times in his lifetime.  He is a past adviser for Kawida Lodge, Tim Brown.  There were some inflatables set up inside Stamler Hall. One was where you stood on a stand and tried to knock your opponent off his stand with a padded stick.  I got talked into battling Thomas.  He beat me 3 to 1 by knocking me off the stand.  He probably would have beat me anyway, but I had only been off the PMT for a little over an hour when we battled.  There were 2016 Lodge Officer Elections at this Fellowship, which adult are not allowed to vote.  I spent too much money on OA flaps.  That's about normal.  I thought it was a great weekend.  I was able to address a Tecumseh Chapter meeting about Troop 1's homeless campout in December.  I made sure it was okay with the Scoutmaster of Troop 1, but I invited Tecumseh Chapter of Kawida Lodge to attend the campout in December.  I spent most of my weekend hanging out with the SM from Troop 269, but I also spent some time with the Bluegrass Council Vice President of District Operations.
Extra Gear - No extra gear.
Nights Camping - 2
Total nights camping so far this year - 19 after this trip.
Next Campout - This weekend!  Patriot Games at Fort Knox.  October 16-18.  It is supposed to be in the 50s in the daytime and mid 30s at night.  I CANNOT WAIT!  I love cold camping.


The theme for the weekend was The Lodge Awakens.  It was like Star Wars. The officers did a skit to teach the theme of the weekend.  It was cool.


Saturday Morning hike of the Pioneer Mountain Trail.  I couldn't convince Thomas to go with me, but I still had plenty of friends on the hike.


About a mile away from Grape Knob, which is the peak of the PMT, is Pilot Knob.  Thomas and I hiked Pilot Knob a month ago.  It is where Daniel Boone first looked over the Blue Grass area of Kentucky in 1769.


I always cut my knee or another part of my leg when I'm hiking. A brier cut my knee on this hike.


Muddy Boots are manly.  The trail was slick, but not too muddy.


After lunch was Kawida Lodge Officer elections.  Adults stayed in the back while the Scouts were voting.


After elections, the inflatables were set up.  Thomas and Brett battled it out.  I got talked into getting my butt kicked by Thomas only an hour or so after coming off the trail.


Sunday morning right before the Scouts Own Service led by Sebastian.  It was a good service.  There were a lot of Scouts and Scouters that stayed until the end.  It made it helpful for cleanup.  This group sang happy birthday to me since October 4 is my birthday. I turned 43 this weekend.


These are my acquisitions for the weekend.  To get the little wooden coin, each OA member had to memorize the OA prayer which is:

For night alone that rests our thought
For quiet dawn that lights our trail
For evening fire that warms and cheers
For each repast that fuels our work
We give thanks, O Lord.



This is all of our gear stuffed in the back of my truck after a good weekend of camping.

1 comment:

  1. I am a former Scout leader and have developed a new kind of tent technology, which I think you will find interesting.

    You can see it at
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/288440964/all-in-one-beach-yard-and-camping-talltenttm

    Like all inventors, I look forward to discussing my technology, if you have an interest. My email is whatfun51@gmail.com.

    Thank you,

    Dan Drummond

    ReplyDelete