Monday, October 19, 2015

Patriot Games - Fort Knox, KY, October 16-18, 2015

Location - Fort Knox Military Base, Kentucky
Mileage - 268.2 miles round trip.  I topped off the gas in my truck on the way home.  I stopped at an Exchange (military gas station) on base since I found gas for $1.93/gallon.  I had already driven 159.4 miles, and it took 13.72 gallons to fill my truck.  I was pulling the Scout trailer, and after this fill up, I discovered that I get 11.61 miles to the gallon while pulling the Scout trailer.  That sucks!
Weather - No Rain, but COLD!  Friday night was in the upper 50s when we arrived, 31 Friday night/Saturday Morning, high of 57 during the day Saturday, and 28 Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Clothing - During the day, I wore my Carhartt pants (green), and a t-shirt under a woolen shirt.I also had my fleece jacket from Wood Badge and I took my rain coat. I wore the raincoat on top of everything else on Saturday night to stay warm in front of the fire.
Shoes - Old Tennis Shoes.  I took my hiking boots, but didn't wear them since I knew I would do a lot of walking, and it wasn't raining.
Tent Camping - I set up my Slumberjack Trail Tent 4.
Sleeping bag - I brought my Teton 0 bag.  I zipped it up to my shoulders.  I didn't get cold on Saturday morning, but did get a little cold on Sunday morning.
Sleeping - I used my camping pad on top of my new Texsport Deluxe Camp cot.  I wore ear plugs and a sock cap to keep my head warm.  I wore long underwear (top and bottom), and wool socks.  I ordered the Camp Cot because I'm tired of sleeping on the ground.  The Texsport Camp Cot fit well inside my 4 man tent, and it was very comfortable.
Main Activities - We toured the Patton Leadership Museum that was right beside where we were camping. There were activities for the Scouts at the Patriot Games, but most of what I did was walk around with the Scoutmaster to steal ideas for our troop from other Scout troops at the campout.  There were about 5 to 7 thousand Scouts at the event. We built a fire Saturday afternoon at about 3, and kept it burning until close to 11 when we went to bed.  At 6 PM, I led a Scouts Own Service for our troop.  It was about the Brotherhood of Scouting, and the Scripture I used was 1 John 3:11-17.  I thought it went well for something I didn't prepare for.  I talked about the importance of brotherhood among Scouts...especially from our troop.
Extra Gear - It's not official Scouting gear, but I'm going to admit it...I took a "cheater heater" that is run by propane gas.  It was used for a few minutes when I got ready for my sleeping bag while I stripped out of my clothes for long underwear, and it was used for a few minutes when I woke up in the morning to get back into my clothing for the day.
Nights Camping - 2
Total nights camping so far this year - 21 after this trip.
Next Campout - The 2015 camping season is winding down fast!  It makes me sad.  I haven't signed up for the November camping trip yet, but if it do it will be November 13-15 at Camp Michaels in Northern Kentucky.


Down for the night.  This is me in my Teton 0 bag


The military band played for us in the opening ceremony on Saturday morning.


Scouts from our troop and other troops on top of a tank outside the Patton Museum.


There is one scout from out troop that didn't want his picture taken.  He is in this picture, but you can't see him.


Leadership


Leadership


Military Vehicles at the event were available for the Scouts to explore.


Camp Improvement ideas from other troops.


Kimbap is a Korean dish.  A parent from our Troop who also stayed the weekend with us bought this at a Korean Store in Fort Knox.  He shared this with me.  It was really good!  I even talked most of our Scouts into trying it.  This isn't something you usually have on a camping trip.


Hot Fire Saturday night.  The trailer on the other side of the fire is cool!


Fire


I love this picture.  These Scouts are only 12 and 13 years old, and they're cooking breakfast on a cold morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment